Friday, March 30, 2007

Monday, March 26

Big day for getting things accomplished. I sanded the wood filler level in the chipped area, cleaned the dust off and now it's time to start covering anything that I don't want painted.

I marked 1/8" lines on some blue tape. This 1/8" gap is what is want over the bearing edge of the drum. I could have 'eyeballed' this, but I like to be as perfect as I can get and in reality, this only took an extra 5 minutes of my time.


Next I used my shop light to case a shadow on the tape. This made finding that 1/8" line easier and I just worked my way around the drum on both sides. I also put backing tape over all the holes on the interior of the drum. Later I will be filling the holes with putty so they won't get any sealer, paint or clear coat in them.



All finished with the bearing edges. Next up covering the interior of the drum.


Here is the drum all covered to protect it from any over spray. You don't want any paint or clear coat the inside of the drum. This will 'choke' the natural wood sound if you do. Of course you can do what ever you really want, but this theory was explained to me and it makes sense, so I stick with it.

Lastly, I filled in all the holes with Plumber's Putty. I love this stuff, it never stains and never hardens. The pic here is after I have all the putty scraped level, so it's flush with the drum surface.


No comments: