Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Guitar Time Baby!

Well, I'm on my last day off before I go back to the grind. So, today I decided to get some work done on the guitar that seems everybody wants me to get done. So what if it's been 5 years in the making people!!!

So, to let you know what I've got ... It's a carved top soloist body made from swamp ash and has a AAAAA quilt maple top. I also had a black line put in between the two layers to give it that ever so little style mark. The body has been prepped, stained orange, coated with sand and sealer, and a few cans of nitro of clear. I felt this wasn't sufficient protection so I brushed on 2 more coats of nitro sand and sealer, level sanded that and now I'm putting on the final coats/can of nitro clear. So far I gotta say it's turning out great! The way the clear is going on I could go right to buffing and no level sanding. But, the perfectionist in me will do some wet sanding before the final buffing. Okay, what I've done today was at 10:00 am I put on a coat of clear and let it dry for 4 hours. At 2:00pm today I put on another coat of clear (took pictures) and will let that cure for another 4 hours and at 6:00pm tonight I'll put on another coat. I won't be able to due much more until next weekend, due to we are going home for the weekend to pick up the cats.

I'm working on the neck at the same time. Currently I'm only working on the head stock. I've stained it orange, brushed on 2 coats of sand and sealer, leveled, and am putting on the final coats of clear. I added clear to the head stock at the same times as above. Once the body and head have cured for a few weeks, I'll finish the rest of the neck.

We have a new computer so I'll have to experiment on how to download the pictures ... so for now this post is just text and will have to edit later when I figure out how to download the pics off of the camera.
If anyone has any name suggestions please feel free to let me know. I know I really have to wait until it's finished before it's named, but I'm always open for suggestions. And Jeff ... you'll be the first to actually play this baby, so be ready! Perhaps you can give it a test ride for a few weeks at the kids thingy you play at for church.

Later all ...

Here are some pictures:


Here are all the parts.

This pic is just trying to show you the depth of the grain pattern in the wood. You have to ignore the whiteout of the flash, I'll have to see if I can take better pictures in the sun when it's all finished.

This pic is showing the shine & smoothness I'm all ready getting before any buffing. I'm getting better at this stuff I think.

Here's the head stock, a little orange peel but that's easy to get smooth on this small of an area.



1 comment:

Jeff Kamp said...

Rob I cannot wait to play this. It is all ready looking very good. I think you have an awesome talent in this area.....The pics of Brents snare look awesome, maybe we all just need to schedule a jam session to try out the Rob line of music instruments!!!